How to apply for, and access, CHSP and the home care package

It can be hard to know where to start when you need to organise help that is best for you. Services provided by CHS can help you to maintain your independence and enjoy your life, your way. How do you access the help or work out which options are the most suitable for you though? We have broken it down in the hope of simplifying it for you.

  1.       Find out what you are eligible for

If doing things like cleaning your home or keeping your yard safe is starting to get more difficult for you, the first place to start is by calling My Aged Care. Some find this step overwhelming, so please ask someone to help you or call our friendly team at Country Home Services and we can explain how My Aged Care works.

  1.       Register with My Aged Care.

Registering with My Aged Care is a requirement if you want to access government funded services, the type of services that we provide. To register, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Have your medicare card ready when you call My Aged Care because it will make it easier for them to provide you with the right advice. My Aged Care will ask a range of questions. This helps the person who you are talking with understand and assess your care needs. Family, friends, carers or health professionals can call on your behalf, but My Aged Care will ask you for your consent for them to talk for you. Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) can also be arranged if you need it.

  1.       The My Aged Care Assessment Process.

Based on the information you provide, My Aged Care may refer you to a face-to-face assessment (that is an assessor visiting your home) to better understand your support needs. Services are unlikely to be put in place without a face to face assessment. This assessment will involve a professional from My Aged Care discovering your needs, reviewing any services you may already receive, identifying any health or safety concerns you have and also reviewing how you are currently managing at home. This assessment determines your eligibility for either the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) or a Home Care Package (HCP).

Assessments are conducted by these teams:

  • REGIONAL ASSESSMENT SERVICE (RAS) RAS assesses for entry level services—low level like help cleaning your home.
  •   AGED CASE ASSESSMENT TEAM (ACAT) ACAT assess for more complex needs, where you may need three or four difference services.


  1.       The Next Steps based on your Assessment:


If you have been assessed for the CHSP, your next step is to connect with us. You can do this by:

  • Asking the person who assesses you (the RAS) to refer your service to us, or
  • You can call us on 1300 773 202 with a copy of your referral information. The CHSP is funded by the Australian Government. This means that services are subsidised. You will be asked to contribute to the costs of your services however this is a small amount. No-one will be refused services because of their inability to contribute. Steps to accessing CHS services

OPTION 2: THE PATHWAY TO A HOME CARE PACKAGE (HCP) If you have been assessed for a HCP, you will receive a letter from the person who assessed you outlining your eligibility and HCP level – 1 through to 4. If you are eligible for a HCP, you automatically get placed on the national waiting list.

Once a HCP becomes available, you will receive a letter that assigns you a HCP. You should act on this as soon as possible.

You have a certain time to choose a provider and to enter a Home Care Package agreement. So, while you are waiting to be assigned a HCP, you should start thinking about what a HCP could look like for you. Think about things like:

  • The services that you need.
  • The type of services that will suit your lifestyle.
  • The fees and charges for services and other products. Some people will need to contribute an income assessed fee. This fee is different for everyone. It’s based on individual income, including your pension. However, full pensioners and people with income up to $28,472.60 do not pay an income-tested care fee. (Information correct as at 20/09/2021). You can start the process that determines this fee prior to be assigned a HCP. If you are not sure about this, you can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. If your circumstances improve while you are on the waiting list, you can opt out of the waiting process at any time. Your referral remains valid until your needs change.

If you have any questions about the above process or applying for the help you deserve and need, feel free to call us now on 1300 773 202 and we can address them for you. We can also guide you through any stage of the process. We are always here to help you.